New Films Come To The Big Screens In March

Hannah Hendron, Reporter

In the month of March, a slew of movies will be making their way to the big screen. Such movies include Greta, Captain Marvel, Five Feet Apart, Dumbo, and Us. The movies are diverse in their storytellings from a Disney live action of Dumbo to the story of Carol Danvers in Captain Marvel. The movies are sure to bring some cinematic excitement to March.

At the start of the month, Greta was released on March 1st. The thriller from Focus Features starred actresses Chloe Grace Moretz (Frances McCullen) and Isabella Huppert (Greta Hideg) as the leads. Frances finds an unaccompanied bag on a New York subway. She kindly returns the bag to Greta Hideg, in the process they form a harmless friendship. Things take a turn once Frances realizes Greta’s dark intentions for leaving her bag on the subway. She tries to end the relationship, doing whatever it takes, from the growing unpredictable and obsessive Greta.

The next movie in the Marvel franchised is Captain Marvel, which was released on March 8th. Brie Larson (Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel) is at the forefront followed by Samuel L. Jackson (Nick Fury) and Jude Law (Yon-Rogg). The MCU’s (Marvel Cinematic Universe) upcoming film brings a fresh new excitement, as it marks the first Marvel movie featuring a female lead. The film’s plot centers around Captain Marvel caught in a galactic war between two alien races. Captain Marvel is the last movie to premiere before Avengers: Endgame, which will heavily intertwine into Avengers: Endgame plot. Captain Marvel is reportedly to be one of the Universe’s most mightiest heroes. Freshman Jacoba Babin said, “I want to see Captain Marvel because it is another Marvel movie. I love Marvel and can’t wait to see what happens in Captain Marvel and how it effects Avengers:Endgame.”

A book to movie adaptation, Five Feet Apart premieres in theaters on March 15th. The two main roles will be played by Cole Sprouse (Will) and Haley Lu-Richardson (Stella). Stella, a seventeen year old, has cystic fibrosis. She spends most of her time following set routines, keeping boundaries, and perfecting her self-control. All the rules she’s set fall away once she meets Will, a charming patient with cystic fibrosis. They need to keep a safe distance because they aren’t allowed to touch one another. As the attraction and temptation grows, keeping the boundary isn’t easy. Freshman Trista Book said,” I am excited to see Five Feet Apart because it looks really good and it has a very intriguing storyline. I am excited to see how two people with similar stories fall in love while having to stay five feet apart.”

Mystery/thriller Us, directed by Jordan Peele, premieres on March 22nd. In the movie, Adelaide Wilson (Lupita Nyong’o) and Gabriel Wilson (Winston Duke) star as husband and wife. Adelaide Wilson returns to her childhood beachfront home, accompanied by her husband, daughter, and son. Adelaine experiences a disturbing event, which has haunted her. She grows increasingly weary as she develops a premonition that something bad will happen to her family. Her intuition becomes unpleasantly real as masked strangers force her family to fight or be killed. When the masked strangers reveal their faces, they’re starkly a copy of each family member.

Disney’s live action Dumbo will be taking a spotlight in theaters on March 29th. The film is directed by Tim Burton and features actors Eva Green (Colette Marchand), Colin Ferrell (Holt Farrier), Danny DeVito(Max Medici), and Micheal Keaton (V., A., Vandevere). Dumbo, an elephant with oversized ears, becomes the laughingstock of the circus, owned by Medici. Medici hires Farrier to take care of Dumbo, but unexpectedly his children see Dumbo flying. Entrepreneur V. A. Vandevere and aerial artist Marchand begin to make Dumbo a star. His ears may be joked about, but they turn around a once struggling circus to a profitable one.

Each of these films are unique and have an individuality, which let them stand out amongst other movies. Depending on the rating, the films can be enjoyed with family or friends. For instance, Captain Marvel is rated PG-13, while Us is rated R. The month of March brings fresh and exciting storylines to theaters near you.