Hulu Documentary Follows Chilling True Story

Zoe Boswinkle, Reporter

On March 20, 2019, Hulu released the first episode of their original series The Act. The series stars Joey King as Gypsy Rose Blanchard, Patricia Arquette as Dee Dee Blanchard, and Calum Worthy as Nick Godejohn. The series tells the story of a young woman’s abuse by her mother who suffered from an illness known as Munchausen syndrome by proxy. This syndrome is when a caregiver makes a dependent person appear physically or mentally ill to gain sympathy and attention. Dee Dee Blanchard convinced the public, and her daughter, that Gypsy suffered from numerous ailments preventing her from living a normal life. The Act takes the audience on a deeper dive into everything Gypsy went through on a day-to-day basis, which eventually led to her mother’s murder. This show is based off of a woman named Dee Dee Blanchard and her daughter Gypsy Rose Blanchard, who were from Missouri. After suffering years of emotional and physical abuse from her mother, Gypsy compelled her boyfriend Nick Godejohn to take Dee Dee’s life.

“I think it’s important to show true crime stories to raise awareness for the victims, but also to show that crimes like these are real. I think The Act is positive for society because it’s an experience for everyone to learn about Munchausen by proxy,” said freshman Rylee Reiser.

The Act’s chilling story leaves audiences baffled on how abuse like this can go on for so long without doctors, family members, or neighbors noticing anything wrong. It raises awareness that everything isn’t always what it seems.

“In a way, series that are based on true events can teach you a lesson and it can inspire others. The fact that Dee Dee Blanchard lied about Gypsy having diseases for pity and money shows that blood doesn’t always mean family. It makes me wonder how crazy these people can be in real life,” said junior Heleen Ritz.

The Act is also sparking a debate on Gypsy Rose’s prison sentence for compelling Nick Godejohn to take her mother’s life, and if she should be serving time at all. Overall, The Act is a chilling series that leaves audiences with a lot to think about regarding mental illnesses and parental abuse. Audiences can look forward to seeing the show continue to be an inside look into the mind of a sufferer of Munchausen by proxy syndrome as well as the possible effects on the victim as the series continues.