NHS Welcomes New Members

Maddie Nolan, Editor

On Friday, May 10, National Honor Society hosted their annual induction night for incoming members and members renewing their vows. The ceremony was led by Principal Brian Orkis, NHS President Madalyn Nolan, and NHS sponsors Sarah Cohen and Cindy Leber. The ceremony began with the inductees and current members being led in by Nolan, Christina Li (Vice President), Stephanie Lester (Secretary), and Emma Loomis (Historian). Current members were then called on stage to receive cords and tassels for graduation, and awards for completing service hours. They then recited the National Honor Society pledge. After the current members were dismissed, incoming members were invited on stage to recite the NHS pledge, and were officially sworn in as NHS members. The new officers were also recognized, with Kylee Taylor as President, Ryan Davenport and Tyler Smith as Co-Vice Presidents, Hannah Bubala as Secretary, and Esther Rossi as Historian. The graduating officers and incoming officers escorted all NHS members out of the auditorium, and students were then able to enjoy snack and refreshments and take pictures.

“I’m looking forward to working with Ryan and Tyler as Co-Vice Presidents, as well as Esther and Hannah,” said Taylor.

During the current school year, the GHS chapter completed 1,400 service hours. They participated in activities like the St. Timothy’s food pantry, community clean up day in Griffith, Breakfast with Santa, and Breakfast with the Easter Bunny.

“I’m very excited to be President next year because there’s three main programs that have changed my life and influenced me, and NHS is one of them,” said Taylor. “I’m ready to take on the role of a leader and want to motivate and inspire others to join and go out and make a difference in the world.”