Birds of Prey Takes Flight at Theaters

Hannah Hendron, Reporter

The newest superhero flick based off of DC Comics, Harley Quinn: Birds of Prey, was released into theaters on Friday February 7. The film could be considered a follow up to 2016’s Suicide Squad and the eighth film of the DC Extended Universe. 

Excited about the film, sophomore Cynthia Matos said,  “When I watched Suicide Squad, it wasn’t my favorite movie, but it introduced me to Harley Quinn’s character. I think Harley was one of the best aspects of the film, so I had my hopes up for her to have a film of her own. I’m really excited to see where her story goes since the Joker won’t be in it.”

The film’s central focus is surrounded around Harley Quinn after her breakup with the Joker. While dealing with the heartache from the split, the guaranteed protection she once had is gone. Trying to evade the many people she has wronged, she inevitably faces the wrath of crime boss Black Mask and his right-hand man Victor Zsasz. Unexpectedly, she becomes allies with the Huntress, Black Canary, and Renee Montoya. Luckily, along with her female counterparts, she no longer has to face the mentioned wrath of Black Mask alone.

In regards to the film, Matos said, “I have yet to see the movie but I’ve seen mostly positive reviews. That gives me some extra hope for the film and makes me want to see it all the more. The synopsis and trailers make the movie seem like it will be chaotic and entertaining. I plan to see the movie this upcoming weekend.”

As the leading lady, Margot Robbie reprises her role as the one and only Harley Quinn. The actresses who play Robbie’s female counterparts are Mary Elizabeth Winstead (Huntress), Jurnee Smollett-Bell (Black Canary), and Rosie Perez (Renee Montoya). The actors who take the mantle of the villains in this film are Ewan McGregor (Black Mask), and Chris Messina (Victor Zsasz). 

In regards to the cast, Matos says, “I really like Margot Robbie’s portrayal of Harley Quinn, which is probably the reason why I like Harley so much. I’ve seen some movies with Ewan McGregor, so I think he’ll be an enjoyable villain. Hopefully, through this movie, I’ll be introduced to new actresses whom I’ll be supporters of.”

Since the release of the film, it has garnered positive reviews from moviegoers and critics alike. Any interested reader can go to their nearest theater to watch the film, but it should be noted it is rated R.