What Is Global Warming, How Can It Be Prevented?

Zoe Boswinkle, Reporter

Global warming is when the average temperature around the world increases. Although many things can contribute to global warming, the main causes are air pollution and greenhouse gases trapped in the atmosphere, warming up the Earth. An example of this would be burning fossil fuels. Fossil fuels are natural gases formed from the remains of dead organisms. An example of a fossil fuel would be coal or gas.
According to nasa.gov, “Most climate scientists agree the main cause of the current
global warming trend is human expansion of the ‘greenhouse effect’ — warming that results when the atmosphere traps heat radiating from Earth toward space.”
As a result, certain changes are almost certain to occur: Earth will be warmer on average, the sea level will rise, and glaciers will melt. Scientists are already seeing the effects of global warming. Crops will not have the same weather to grow in, the coral reef habitat will be disrupted, and certain species of animals and plants will go extinct.
According to nca2014.globalchange.gov, “The majority of the warming at the global
scale over the past 50 years can only be explained by the effects of human influences, especially the emissions from burning fossil fuels (coal, oil, and natural gas) and from deforestation.”
“Students at Griffith High School can do many things to help slow global warming. They can do simple things to conserve energy like turning off lights when they leave the room as well as your television, radio, or computer. Saving water by taking shorter, cooler showers or turning the water off while brushing your teeth and recycle more! Even though these things seem like they aren’t a big deal, its the little things can make a huge difference. GHS should care about global warming because it affects their future lives. Obviously global warming causes the climate to change. For example, crazy temperatures and weather patterns aren’t good for farming. If farmers aren’t doing well with their crops, prices will rise on food. The temperatures can cause droughts and forest fires, and large amounts of rain can cause major flooding. It is causing the gorgeous, diverse planet that we have now to slowly but surely dwindle away. It can even cause the air to be worse for our health. We need to help save our environment so that we can continue to have the beautiful world that we do now and have access to our life’s necessities,” said science teacher Emma Farkas.
Students at GHS have a responsibility to do their part in taking care of the Earth for the generation to come. If global warming continues to progress, we could lose things that are vital to survive and life on Earth could become dangerous in certain parts of the world. Global warming is a serious issue that could effect life on Earth forever unless we take action.
“Human activities have ruined the Earth’s climate which, over time, will caused changes in temperatures, resources will be scarce, and the increase in dangerous weather will be significant. Humans are the cause of Global Warming becoming dangerous, it’s our duty to do everything we can to stop global warming furthermore. The later we start, the more danger we will be in. Nature’s resources will deplete and species will start dying off. It’s important for every citizen to make changes or we will not recover,” said senior Emily Kruhaj.
Global warming is a pressing issue that, without action, could be fatal. Citizens will have to sacrifice natural resources, healthy drinking water, and wildlife; unless we make a change. The long term affects will be devastating,