GHS Student COVID Journal- September 2020

Katie Bilka, Editor in Chief

September: Students began school in person on September 16, 2020. Masks were required and social distancing was encouraged. Teachers were required to disinfect classrooms every passing period. Athletics and extracurriculars were going steady or just beginning.

Griffith Athletic teams have been doing a thorough job of maintaining the spread of the virus, but an outbreak was bound to occur. JV boy’s soccer had to quarantine in the middle of September because there was a positive case on an opponent’s team. Boy’s varsity quarantined for a few days and were soon right back into the groove. Though they barely had enough players to fill the field, they took the win on their first game back.

Girl’s varsity and JV soccer teams experienced a positive test on their very own team the day after senior night. Thus, all girls, coaches, and those nearby soccer girls on school were sent home for a 2 week quarantine. The Lady Panthers’ season is over, but they ended with a phenomenal win/loss record of 6:1.

Football and other unaffected athletic teams are still going strong. Homecoming is scheduled for Oct 16 as the other athletic teams wind down for the end of their season. Students remain in school, virtual, or temporarily virtual. More updates to come.