“Mamba out”: Remembering Kobe Bryant

Gabe Colomes, Reporter

“A guard 6’6” from Lower Merion High School Kobe Byrant.” The 5x champion, 2x USA Gold Medalist, 18x all-star, 2x scoring leader, 2007-08 MVP, 2x Finals MVP, and 1996-97 slam dunk champion passed away on Sunday, January 26, 2020. His daughter Gianna, Orange Coast College baseball coach John Altobelli, his daughter Alyssa and her mother Keri, Mamba coach Christina Mauser, Sarah Chester and her daughter Peyton, and pilot Ara Zobayan all died with Kobe in a helicopter crash.  

Kobe was only 17 when he got selected by the Charlotte Hornets 13th overall in the 1996 NBA draft. He would then get traded to the Los Angeles Lakers the same day. Since that day Kobe would stay a Laker for his whole 20 year career, and became the only player in the NBA to have two jerseys retired. 

Kobe’s career high for points in a game was  81 on January 22, 2006 against the Toronto Raptors. Last time an NBA player performed that high was Wilt Chamberlain’s 100 point game in 1962.

He was a father, he was a “girl dad.” His daughters were Gianna 13, Natalia 17, Bianka 3, and 7 month year old Capri Bryant. Kobe was an icon on the floor, a public figure to look up around the world, but most importantly he was a great father.

Kobe won the Academy Award for Best Animated Short Film “Dear Basketball” after retiring from the NBA in 2016. 

Kobe was more than basketball; he was an icon for the world. He showed us what dedication and hard work can get you far in life.

Prayers go out to his wife Vanessa Bryant and others who were close to all of the 9 victims involved. 

Growing up as a child, Kobe was my favorite athlete in the whole sports world. The passion he had for the game of basketball. I always watch his highlights and practice his in game moves. To see him rise to the occasion it was something special to look at. Watching him win championships adding to his Hall of Fame resume. The work ethic is most important about him. Former NBA players would tell stories where they would show up to the gym early to get some shots in to hear a basketball dribbling. That was Kobe, who would wake up at 4 in the morning just to put in work. Thank you Kobe for showing me what it takes to be a competitor. Thank you Kobe for showing how far an athlete can go through hard work and dedication. Thank you Kobe for telling us to follow our dreams and never give up. Thank you Kobe for a great childhood. 

Mamba out…. gone but never forgotten.