Fall Sports, New School Year Begin

Madalyn Nolan, Editor-in-Chief

With the 2018-2019 school year starting on August 14, fall sports are now in full swing with games starting this week. Girls and boys soccer played at the Andrean Jamboree on Saturday, August 11 at Andrean High School. At the jamboree, teams played 40 minute games with the boys playing Hobart and Wheeler in the morning, and the girls playing Valpo and Hobart that evening. The boys’ team won both games beating Hobart 5-0 and Wheeler 2-0 with Marko Stosic scoring three goals total, making him the highest scorer for his team at the jamboree. The jamboree was an opportunity for the teams to get accustomed to playing with each other after the Varsity and JV rosters were announced just a week prior.

Football, volleyball, girls golf, Pantherettes, cheerleading, and boys tennis are also starting up for the season.

Junior Catherine Byrzycki is heading into her junior year as well as her third year of playing varsity golf.

“I have put in a lot of work during the summer, so hopefully it will all pay off,” said Byrzycki, who has been golfing for ten years. “The season has just started and I have a good feeling about it. I’m still working towards going to state.”

Senior Jenna Brown is starting her fourth and final season of volleyball and is excited to lead her team as a senior.

“It’s bittersweet knowing that this is my last season with my teammates, but I’m thankful for the friends that I’ve made throughout the years, as well as all the experience that I’ve gained,” said Brown.