Students Prepare for Educational England Trip

Zoe Boswinkle, Reporter

From March 25th to April 2nd, select students will be traveling to England and Scotland. The trip cost for students amounted to $3,344 per student, and for chaperones, $3,794. Students will travel through Edinburgh, Stanford-upon-Avon, London, and other cities. Students will explore England, learn about different cultures, and expand their world view.

GHS has chosen to travel through eftours.com. The students will begin their trip by flying overnight to Scotland. They will start their second day in Glasgow where they will meet their tour guide, travel to Edinburgh, and explore the city. On the third day, the students will tour the city with their guide and visit the Edinburgh castle. They will also be able to visit the National a Museum of Scotland, afterwards they will have the opportunity to explore further or visit the Specters of Scotland. On the fourth day, the students will travel to Yorkshire and tour York and its attractions. On the fifth day, students will travel to the Birmingham region where they will visit significant landmarks. On the sixth day, students will travel to London and tour Oxford. The next day, the students will tour the Windsor Castle and tour London. On the eighth day, students will have the opportunity to visit Stonehenge or explore London on their own pace, and on the next day depart for home.

“Travel provides students with educational acquisition that the classroom can not. Travel is real-world learning. Students develop a visual literacy, along with broadening their education experience.  Through this trip, I hope to expose these 40 students to Scottish and English culture,” said trip sponsor and English teacher Kristina Collard.

Throughout the trip, students will have the opportunity to explore and learn about the customs in these countries. In a classroom, there’s no way to have a hands-on experience when learning about other parts of the world. With this trip, students and teachers have a chance to learn about the culture and experience life from a different perspective.

“I signed up for this trip to be able to travel abroad with my friends and experience going out of the United States. I’m looking forward to experiencing Scotland and England and having a good time with my friends,” said junior Abby Wroblewski.

Students raised money from selling pie carts and wreaths, hosting a Bunny Breakfast, and a mattress fundraiser. Planning the trip for over a year, Griffith High School worked hard to make this trip possible. With this trip, GHS hopes to provide students with a positive experience that will further their education career.

“I am looking forward to this whole trip in general because it will be my first time traveling out of the country! Also, my best friend is going too, so it will be fun to experience it with her,”said senior Emma Loomis.

GHS hopes to provide a positive cultural experience that opens students world view for the future.