Student Council Learns Leadership at Iron Oaks Field Trip

Connor Crafton, Reporter

On Monday, October 14th, the GHS Student Council took a field trip to Iron Oaks Environmental Learning Center in Illinois to practice various team-building exercises.

Iron Oaks is most known for their vast forest property, equipped with ropes courses and  various other plots of land specialized for the different team-building activities the students were traveling there for. Students from the GHS student council split into three different groups lead by a proctor representing Iron Oaks. Together students learned about the history of the property, leadership skills, communication, and general teamwork through the help of these activities.

Isabella Aranda, sophomore representative of the GHS Student Council, said the activities did help with learning different communicative strategies. “The teambuilding activities were really cool, we learned about communication, and just generally helping others.”

Of the variety of activities the students took place in, a classic “the floor is lava” scenario seemed to be many students’ favorite. In this scenario, students placed blocks on the floor to create a “bridge” between two “islands” while guiding two blindfolded students along the way. Students, like Aranda, said that this was the most educational activity.

“The floor is lava activity was really fun. We failed three times, but when we succeeded, it felt so good. I think we learned a lot from it,” said Aranda.

The GHS Student Council plans events and makes sure they get done, so knowing that they can build their leadership and teamwork together means good for the future of this school year.