How do the fine arts affect students with their learning and life skills? 

Photo provided by Griffith Theatre Company

Fine arts should be considered a significant element in education. Most people look over the fine arts program in their schools and need to learn its effect on their student body. Being in fine arts gives you different life skills and can help with your learning. As a student in two of the many fine arts offered at Griffith Jr/Sr High School, fine arts are significant to our student body. With fine arts, students can expand their creativity, confidence, academic skills, collaboration, and many other skills that are used in life. People involved in fine arts find peace and use it as an escape from reality.

When someone is involved in fine arts, they expand their knowledge. For example, if someone is in a band or choir, they must learn to not only sight read the piece but also know the notes that should be played or sung. It is like learning another language. If you asked someone not involved with music, they would be unable to read the sheet music if you gave it to them. Sight reading and singing/playing take coordination because you need to know how many beats are in each measure while knowing what the right notes are to be played/sung, and you need to sing/play. Especially when you play an instrument, you need to use hand coordination. Many think being involved with a music class is simple, but it is far from that when you get into it.

Another type of fine arts that affects students is the theatre. Being in the theatre helps grow confidence, teamwork, and creativity. When you are in theatre, you do things that will make you step out of your comfort zone, but it also expands your creativity. When playing different characters, you get to be someone utterly different from who you are, making your creativity flow to play up the character. Being in theatre helps you build your confidence because when you perform, you must put on the show in front of hundreds of people without being afraid. Most people are initially nervous, but as you get used to it, you cannot get enough of being on the stage. Teamwork is one of the most important things you need when you are in theatre because not only are you having to cooperate with the people on stage, but you also must work with the crew as well. If you do not work together, the whole show will end up a mess. Being in the theatre helps you grow the life skills you will use in the present and the future.

According to the Americans for the Arts poll, 83% of Americans believe that arts education helps teach children to communicate effectively with adults and peers, a necessary skill in our everyday lives. Edward Bond once said, “I think there is no world without theatre.” Many people succeed from being in the arts, and there is no success with no arts.