Rock’n’Rail Returns to Griffith

Hannah Hendron, Reporter

The town of Griffith once again held the Rock ‘N’ Rail fest from August 29 until September 1 in the downtown area on Broad Street. The festivities lasted over Labor Day Weekend and included 35 bands and dozens of food vendors for the attendees to enjoy.

Three music stages included the Main Stage, Lake Street Stage, and Bar Stage where the various performances took place. The lineup of music was non-stop, as they had multiple acts through each day at each individual stage. There was a range of musical acts, including as original music from local artists, cover songs, and tribute bands. Junior Nina Rodriguez said, “I would definitely recommend listening to the bands. Next year if you see any bands you’d like to see, then I say you should go check them out.”

Music was not the only focus of the event; there were food vendors, a car and motorcycle show, a vintage car show, and plenty of activities for kids. The kidzone included train barrel rides, face painting, and bounce houses to capture their attention. On all four days there were meet and greets with popular movie and television characters children are familiar with. Peppa Pig and Mickey Mouse appeared on Thursday from 6:30 – 8:00, Poppy and Branch Troll on Friday from 6:30 – 8:00, princesses on Saturday from 2:00 – 6:00, and Sunday, from 2:00 – 6:00, was superhero day. Rodriguez said, “I worked with the children as Princess Aurora and Supergirl on the designated days. I really enjoyed making the kids happy and seeing their faces to see their favorite superhero or princess.”

Griffith’s Firefighter Association hosted a car and motorcycle show, a one day event on Friday, August 30, from 4:00-9:00. The next day a vintage car show took place on Saturday, September 1 at 1:00-5:00. The cars had to be at least as old as 1959 or earlier, and there was a limit of 100 cars. There was a registration fee of $20; trophies were given out to the winners at the end of the show.

Throughout the event there are many activities to entertain people of all ages. This year happened to be the 11th annual Rock ‘N’ Rail fest, and the audience has grown exponentially over the years. It has become a beloved tradition for the residents of Griffith. Sophomore Breeana Graham said, “I think I’ve gone the last four years and I always have a great experience. This event allows everyone to enjoy themselves even people from neighboring towns.”

The event showcases the community in a positive way, that the residents of Griffith attend year after year.  The Rock ‘N’ Rail fest has already passed, but there is always next year’s Rock ‘N’ Rail festivities waiting.