New Movies That Will Leave You Smitten for Valentines Day

Hannah Hendron, Reporter

** THIS STORY CONTAINS MINOR SPOILERS

To All the Boys: Always and Forever

The final installment of Lara Jean’s trilogy debuted Friday the twelfth on Netflix. Lara Jean and Peter are as smitten as ever, but future college plans may cause more of a road bump than expected. Their plan for life together in college isn’t as seamless as they initially thought, and now Lara Jean isn’t sure if the future she saw for herself and Peter could still see the light of day. A class trip to New York City puts her future into perspective, prompting her to decide if she still wants what she originally thought. These questions weigh in on Lara Jean’s heart and mind as she tries to navigate the best route for her while still trying to convey to Peter she still chooses him. She doesn’t want to hurt Peter, but she doesn’t want to regret her choice when all is said and done, either. Lana Condor (Lara Jean Covey) and Noah Centineo (Peter Kavinsky) conclude this final act with as much adoration as ever. Anna Cathcart (Kitty) and Janel Parish (Margot) convincingly convey the Covey sister bond between all three girls. Madeleine Arthur (Christine), Emilija Baranac (Gen), John Corbett (Dr. Covey), and Sarayu Rao (Trina Rothschild) bring alive their supporting roles to full capacity. Fans get one last time to witness the love story between Lara Jean and Peter before they have to say goodbye to these beloved characters forever.

Regarding the film, junior Cynthia Matos said, “I’ve liked the first two previous movies, so I couldn’t wait to see how this one ended. It was bittersweet, but I felt they did a good job with tying everything up.”

Cherry

The Russo Brothers and Tom Holland have joined forces to immerse viewers into the life of a complicated man. Cherry’s life has been nothing short of easy, as he’s endured war, romance, crime, and drug addiction within his young adulthood. He’s proclaimed to have seen everything that is about to happen and it’s a curse rather than a blessing. Viewers will see the aftermath of Cherry being involved in the war and the toll it takes on him, which leads to the downward spiral he falls into. Unfortunately, Cherry eventuality involves his partner, Emily, in his mess of drug addiction and the opioid crisis. Their relationship turns unhealthy, as they both become lost in each other and can’t find the independence they once had. Cherry’s arc depicts a universal story found among many people, which was not lost on Holland, Bravo, or the Russo Brothers. Holland and Bravo spoke with individuals with substance abuse and veterans to transfer as much authenticity from their performance to the audience. Tom Holland (Cherry) and Ciara Bravo (Emily) star as the main leads who bring every ounce of their talent to the screen. Interested viewers can read the novel the film is adapted from by author Nico Walker. The film tackles mature topics that are not suitable for younger audiences. Cherry will be available to subscribers of the Apple+ TV platform on February 26.

The Map of Tiny Perfect Things

Two teens, Mark and Margaret, are stuck living the same day in repeat and are the only ones with the knowledge that they are. Mark doesn’t know why he’s stuck in a loop, especially on the day his father lectures him on his future. He’s undecided about what he wants to pursue after high school, but by the end of the film he may have figured it out. He does have time on his side and he’s not afraid to take advantage to try and impress a girl. In doing so, he runs into Margaret, the only other person aware of this situation. Combating Mark’s optimistic personality, Margaret sees the world from a pessimistic point of view. She’s more judgmental of the whole time loop, which audiences will discover the reason being later on in the movie. They come together to seize the day and really take advantage of their time to focus on the smaller aspects of life. Though at some point they conflict on when is the right time to try and find a way out of the loop. Margaret feels they have all the time in the world, but Mark feels that time is when you spend it and can no longer get it back. The young adult rom-com has a freshness with the maturity of the script that other romantic comedies fail to achieve. The movie embraces the sci-fi element with the time loop and doesn’t shy away from a plausible explanation of how this happened. Kathryn Newton (Margaret) and Kyle Allen (Mark) give the film a heart with their undeniable chemistry. The Map of Tiny Perfect Things debuted on Friday the twelfth to subscribers with Amazon Prime. 

Regarding the film, Matos said, “I went into watching this without much expectation, but it actually surprised me. I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would, especially because of the way the characters were written.”

These movies are a great way to keep you entertained as all are available on platforms accessible from home. Streaming services have come in handy when providing entertainment for all during this time. If you’re looking for something to watch, check out these three movies.